Whitehorse

Drury House

Architectural History: 

It is a 1-1/2 storey log building with a gable roof. The concrete foundation has a basement and the roof has asphalt shingles. There is a new two-storey frame addition to rear build in 1980 which has ship lap wood siding.

Cultural History:

This house was built in the early 1940s by Albert Taylor, who was in charge of ladies’ and men’s wear at the Taylor and Drury store. In 1949, Bill Drury Jr. moved in with his family. In keeping with the successful Taylor and Drury partnership legacy, Bill Drury Jr. and Bill Taylor opened Taylor and Drury Motors, which later became Yukon Motors and Taylor Chev/Olds. The house was purchased in 1979 by Cable, Veale, Cosco, and Morris, barristers and solicitors, who renovated the house and added an addition to the rear to accommodate their offices.

The Drury House is likely the oldest residence remaining in an area which at the time of construction defined the outer limits of Whitehorse.

Building Location:
212 Hanson Street • Whitehorse, YT

Description:
1-1/2 Storey Log Building with Wood Frame Addition

Location Context:
This house is likely the oldest residence remaining in an area which at the time of construction defined the outer limits of Whitehorse.